Thursday, March 22, 2012

Complacency

So, I've been reading my brother's blog. ( You can find it here: http://www.jonwhiting55.blogspot.com/ ) A lot. I've been thinking about the things he says and the veiwpoint he takes. I've been forced to examine my own complacency in life. I'm REALLY comfortable being a 40-something mom, student, christian, lower-middle class woman. We don't have a lot. We don't need a lot. But we have enough. We go to church freely and without fear. We eat well, maybe a little too well, we don't have to scramble to find enough to eat. We don't have to make a choice between food for the kids and paying the electric bill. My husband is good to me, to our kids, he provides for us and comes home every night to us. We're all clothed. We're all getting a decent education. No one is telling us we can't achieve whatever we set out to achieve. We are living, for the most part, the American dream. I am blessed, and my life is good. It's not always easy, or fun, but it is always good. I've grown fat and complacent in my blessings. I've been content to "go with the flow" wherever it leads.

Just recently though, I'm a bit disturbed by where that flow is heading. I'm a bit disgusted with myself for being so content to turning a blind eye to the gradual and subtle loss of freedoms we are experiencing as a nation, because, after all, they haven't REALLY affected my little corner of the dream. At least not yet. I think that's normal. I think it's what the majority of us do. (Why get uptight about having your phone tapped if you're not saying anything wrong? I'm not worried about that, I'm a law abiding citizen after all.) Well, maybe because it's a violation of our freedom of speech. Maybe, under the pretense of the greater good, we're sacrificing tiny little crumbs of freedom that left unchecked will end up being the whole cake one day. Maybe under the cloud of fear over this country, we're willing to give a little too much, a little too easily, if we can just stay in our bubbles and be left alone. Yep. I think that's a normal response. But is it wise? I really don't know, but it is something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment