Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Working Out The Quirks

So a couple of posts ago I mentioned changing the name of my blog. You can read that post here. It isn't all that exciting, mostly it's goofy, but I really did/do want to change the name.

I'm not sure how interested I am in getting a huge following going but the advice received was overwhelmingly to keep it simple. Huh. Easier said than done. There is almost NOTHING simple about me except my jeans and t-shirt sense of "non-style".

I played with very complex names, very obscure references, goofy self depreciating phrases, I stalked dozens of blogs coveting their creativity and originality, you know the usual obsessive perfectionist approach to something fairly mundane. I mean really, I don't think enough people read this to even CARE what the name is, much less spend over a week mulling it around in my head.

I got a lot of good suggestions, mostly from Menopausal Mother who, by the way is a fantastic mentor and cheerleader if you're looking to take this blogging thing to the next level. She's super sweet, totally genuine and funny to boot... I think you should read her blog... just sayin... But also from others who just dropped by here to check it out, and some real life "skin on" friends.

Like I said there is nothing simple about me. I think I like complicated on some deep-seated subconscious level that I may never understand the root of. I'm just like that. I like plays on words, I like obscurity and when people get my weird references and jokes it thrills me.

I like being transparent. I'm not good at playing the hide-who-I-am-so-I-won't-be-hurt game. I think I'm too stupid to figure out the rules. They're pretty complicated. Someone will always find a way to hurt you if that's the kind of person they are. Anyway, I've survived a lot. I've made every mistake I can think of. I've been hurt and I've hurt other people. I'm not proud, just human. I think it's important to just share my experiences because as bad as it was, I made it. I came out ok. I'm grown and I'm sane and I have peeps that love me that aren't even related to me! It's a pretty good life. All I ever want to do is encourage others who are hurting, or in the process of healing, or whatever. I like to encourage people. I like to make them feel good about themselves. I like to tell them they are loved. I like to spread hope. I've been told I'm a Pollyanna. I've been told I'm too nice, too compassionate, weird, creative, an encourager, an enigma... It goes on and on.

I've learned to embrace my own quirkiness over the last 4 plus decades. I'm still working it out.

So with all this in mind, I think I've finally landed on a name, that while I'm not sure I love it, it suits me and what I do here better than the original name.

Welcome to "Working Out The Quirks".

6 comments:

  1. Menopausal mother sent me over - Love the title of the blog as it is. Your blog is great by the way and I will be a frequent visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are well on your way to making this a wonderful success, Traci. And I couldn't be happier for you! Anything you need, I'll be happy to help! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meno mama sent me, and you are right about her...she is a great source of support and encouragement...AND, she also has superior taste in reading material! I randomly picked a post when I 1st came to your page (that's how i roll), and it happened to be the "i love words" post. I L-O-V-E-D it! And, even though i don't know what your previous name was, i dig the name you chose for your blog. You got talent, girl. Write on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. i just discovered what your old name used to be...just a head's up, when i subscribed to follow your blog, the email sent still had "something to think about" attached to it. In case you want to change it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hit the nail on the head Tess. I love the name. It does suit you. Glad to see you back at it. You have a lot to share that the world can benefit from. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new name Traci, it feels good already. I have no doubt that once more people find you here they won't leave. You've got a great mentor, and I know for sure that Menopausal Mama has a good heart and will do all she can to show you the ropes.

    I enjoy people who are upfront and honest in their approach, so I look forward to reading much more from you.

    ReplyDelete